lunes, 22 de septiembre de 2008

Port Resolution, Vanuatu






The villagers welcomed us with traditional songs and dancing. It was part of the traditional welcoming ceremony that includes the exchange of gifts. They were very generous as they gave us a live pig! It is considered very rude to refuse a gift so we asked the villagers to butcher the pig and serve it to us in a banquet that night. I was told by several people that the kava was very strong and that I really ought to try some, but I refused anyway.
When I was provisioning for the passage to Australia in Luganville, I noticed that most people in the butcher's shop were only buying half a pound of the cheapest meat. I'm pretty sure that they were buying the meat for their families which means that the gift of a pig was very generous indeed. I don't think most people in Vanuatu eat a lot of meat.

2 comentarios:

Michael Evans dijo...

These pictures are amazing. I spent a couple hours looking at them and daydreaming. I've been thinking about cruising to New Ziland. Can you recommend any books or other infomration?

Elizabeth dijo...

I haven't actually sailed to New Zealand. I heard that New Zealand can be tricky sailing with the variables. You should try to avoid the cyclone season from November to April. Jimmy Cornell with his Pacific crossing guides is always good.